Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Before and After Crestwood Deck



Reader Letter:
Ms Clavell,
I'd like to recommend a home (actually a deck) to be featured in the BH&G Blog. Amanda Abbett has added an amazing deck to her home in Crestwood that I would love to see spotlighted in your blog.
Thanks.
Amanda

Our Response:
One of our blog readers wrote in to tell us that if you’re looking for a shady and private place for parties and outdoor lounging, Crestwood resident, Amanda Abbett, has the perfect spot—her own backyard.

When Amanda wanted to design and build a new deck for her backyard, she took her ideas to the remodeling professionals at All Phase Construction and set to work to create her new space. A large 16 x 16 screened and covered deck was built and with enough extra space left to enjoy the backyard. Another smaller, lower, 8 x 16 deck was also added.

Having a space that could bring Amanda closer to nature was a plus for her. “I love being outside and having the deck convenient to my back door was a big bonus,” she says. “The deck allows me to easily go outside and sit with nature. In the summer, when the three pecan trees above are full of leaves, the house feels like a large tree-house.”

Before the deck was added on, Amanda says the house was very cute and had charm, but when opening the back door and finding a steep flight of stairs was, “Not attractive. The back of the house just always screamed for a deck.”

The deck’s interior was decorated in a beach theme with a crab wall hanging, and a small fishing net and oar. Bamboo shades drape the railing for a tiki feel and clear lights trim the ceiling for great evening illumination.

The deck also provides a great place for weekend lounging and gatherings. “Everyone who ever sees it for the first time is really pleasantly surprised,” says Amanda. “I think when they pull up to our city bungalow, they have no idea a deck so large and so nice will be behind our house.”

—by Patience Kleber

If you’re looking to remodel or decorate a space, check out these professionals:
* American Society of Interior Designers: www.aside.org
* Home Builders Association of Alabama: www.hbaa.org
* The Greater Birmingham Association of Home Builders: www.birminghambuilder.com
* Home Builders Association of Alabama Remodelers
P.O. Box 241305
Montgomery, AL 36124
(800) 745-4222

Have a remodeling project you’d like to share? E-mail us at aclavell@pmtpublishing.com.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This is really great! I'm also thinking of having one. Maybe I could also put a gazebo and a hot tub outside. I really love soaking in a hot tub especially when the weather is cold. I remember when I and my friends spent one night soaking in my hot tub and just having fun. We talked about everything and getting to know each other more. I'd like to do it again with them. My hot tub is durable and I had it 3 years ago. It's still working perfectly. If you're interested where did I buy it, just visit this link hot tub chemicals uk

    ReplyDelete